Welcome to Eric Smith's
University of Essex, Professor of Economics
Royal Economic Society Easter School, Director
Essex Economic Commission, member
Department of Economics
University of Essex
Essex CO4 3SQ
Tel: +44 1206 87 27 58
E-mail: esmith (non-Essex users add @essex.ac.uk)
My office number is 5B.207
My regular office hours are Monday, 3.30-4.30 and Tuesday 10.30-11.30. I am around most days and happy to meet with students after 3.00 if available
Lecture notes for EC355 Public Economic and for EC365 Monopoly and Regulation are available on the Course Material Repository (CMR)
Recent Papers and Publications
· “Opportunistic Matching in the Housing Market”, with J. Albrecht, A. Anderson and S. Vroman, International Economic Review, 48:2 (2007) pp. 641-663.
· “Asset Accumulation and Short-Term Employment,” with M. Browning and T. Crossley, Review of Economic Dynamics, 10 (2007), pp. 400-423.
· “Limited Duration Employment,” Review of Economic Dynamics, 10 (2007) pp. 444-471.
Matching: Evidence from Individual Unemployment Spells in
· “Price Distributions and Competition” with K. Burdett, Economic Letters, 106 (2010), 180-3.
· “Sector Specific Human Capital and the Distribution of Income”, Journal of Human Capital, 4 (2010), pp. 35-61.
· “A Picture of Stock-Flow Unemployment in the UK,” with M. Coles and P. Jones, Macroeconomic Dynamics, 14:4 (2010), pp 427-53.
· “Job Search with Bidder Memories,” with C. Carrillo-Tudela and G. Menzio, International Economic Review, 52:3 (2011), pp. 639-55
· “Human Capital Portfolios,” with Pedro Silos, Review of Economic Dynamics, 18:3 (2015), pp 635-652.
· “Search Capital,” with Carlos Carrillo-Tudela, Review of Economic Dynamics, 23:1 (2017), pp 191-211.
· “Wage Dynamics and Wage Dispersion Within and Across Firms” with Carlos Carillo-Tudela, IZA Discussion Paper No. 4031, February 2009
· “High and Low Activity Spells in Housing Markets,” CESifo Working Paper 5601, September 2015, latest version July 2017
For further details see my CV :
Place of Birth: New York City, NY
BA, Williams College 1983
PhD, University of Pennsylvania, 1990
Major League Totals: N/A
Eric lives in Wivenhoe with his wife and young son, owns a beach hut in Frinton-on-Sea, serves as Treasurer of the Colne Social Club snooker club, and is part owner of his local pub, the Black Buoy.