See local maps of the area
How to get here from Gatwick, Heathrow, Stansted, or London City Airports, plus some information on Network railcard, which is a good way to save money if you plan to travel by train
See Train timetable to/from Liverpool St.
1. Exit the A12 at junction 27, take the A133 East all the way through Colchester
2. After passing Wivenhoe Park on your right, exit at B1027 (right, signs to Wivenhoe and the University of Essex)
3. Follow B1208 towards Wivenhoe
4. Right before the Wivenhoe Cross roundabout, take a right at Heath Rd.
5. Tower Rd. will be the first road on the left, we are on the left, the lot immediately after the Water tower
(Alternatively, take a right at the Wivenhoe Cross roundabout, and then the first right onto Tower Rd., then left)
1. Take Station Rd. to the High St.
2. Go north on High St. The name of this road will first change to The Avenue, and then later to The Cross.
3. Tower Rd. Will be the first road on your left after The Avenue becomes The Cross
4. Turn left at the Water tower, our house is immediately next to this
To get here from Heathrow by train, take either the underground to Liverpool Street, or the high speed train to Paddington, and then the underground to Liverpool St. You should buy a rail travelcard all the way to Wivenhoe or Colchester rather than buying separate ticket for the underground.
I generally recommend avoiding the Circle line to/from Paddington and instead suggest that you walk 5 mins to/from Lancaster Gate to/from Paddington and take the Central line from there. This is not hard to find, and much quicker. See map here. If you return to Heathrow by train via Paddington, then changing at Stratford rather than Liverpool St. to the Central line also saves a bit of time.
To get here from Heathrow by bus, go to the bus station and take the Heathrow to Stansted bus (see here for details) and then the X22 bus from Stansted to Colchester (see here for time table). The Stansted to Colchester bus will actually drop you off on campus, which is about a 20-25 mins. walk from our house. You can save a bit on the fare if you buy a return ticket.
Return to home page